I know it seems like forever between these post.Thats how it goes with a traveling camera project, but we are back today with another 600 On A 600 feature. Last time we saw Camera 1 it was in North Carolina with Bunny Lynch. You can see her post here. Then, due to some traveling issues, we skipped Ariel Perez. But don’t worry, he’s back in the loop. And that brings us to our first stop in VA.
Yuri Long had the camera this go round and had a great plan to do some shooting around D.C. and some of our nations monuments. It just happens that he received the camera during the government shutdown and that plan got sidelined. Not one to get discouraged, Yuri executed plan B and got his 8 shots. Please be sure to check out more of Yuri’s work online at the following links.
I’d never shot instant film before signing up, but it was the impetus to give it a try, and I love it! I picked up a 600 camera at our local flea market a few months ago, got several packs of Impossible Project integral film, and started going to town. Then someone loaned me a a Polaroid 600 SE and I started shooting Fuji and pack film, FP-100C and FP-3000B, plus I got a few packs of expired Polaroid 669. I am so happy that this project opened up a new door for me.
So, for my turn with camera 1, I actually shot two packs of Impossible Project PX680 Color Protection film. My first idea was to do a “touching strangers” type thing and go to various monuments here in DC to find tourists to pose for me. But I got the camera during the government shutdown and all of the memorials were closed. Instead I tried to capture images that contrasted what little is left of the quirkiness of our area with the near-constant construction and development that has slowly robbed its identity over the last 12 years. But I felt rather meh about the images.
Then it turned out the next person on the list was out of town, and I got to hold onto the camera for an extra week during which we were headed to a cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains. So I picked up another pack of IP film and brought it along. I liked these images much more and felt like they would be interesting candidates for emulsion lifts, so I spent a few hours working on them. As usual it was challenging getting them to spread out, and one completely ripped apart on me, but overall I was really happy with how they came out. I like using watercolor paper because of the texture it adds, and similarly coating it with gel medium gives a chance to manipulate the texture some more with brush work. Comparing the lifts side by side with the originals, it’s interesting to see how the texture can affect the images, but also how the gel medium really washes out the blacks and mutes the colors.
Now for some shots!
We’d like to thank Yuri again for being a part of this cameras amazing journey. Also, thanks again to The Impossible Project for helping us make this whole project happen. Please check out their shop for cameras and film to make your own instant memories.